These are some quick tips that you can use ‘on the spot’. These simple techniques stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system, which sends calming, soothing, healing ripples through your body, brain and mind.
Try them and see which ones work best for you…
- Stroke the back of your hand with your opposite palm
- Touch your lips with a couple of your fingers
- Butterfly hugs – give yourself a hug by crossing your arms and putting your right hand on your left shoulder and your left hand on your right shoulder. Then alternately tap your shoulders for a couple of minutes
- Run warm water over your hands
- Abdominal Breathing to reduce anxiety – Breathe normally but slowly in through nose. Slowly out mouth, like blowing out candle. Do ten times for a quick calm down. This automatically makes next breath come from abdomen.
- Equalized Breathing – equal slow deep breaths in and out – gradually increasing to level of comfort. Imagine breathing in and out through your heart. Call to mind a pleasant, heartfelt emotion such by thinking about a happy or positive time – and imagine this feeling moving through your heart with the breath.
- Aromatherapy- example: lavender aroma lowers arousal level; rosemary aroma helps you think clearly.
- Flower Essences – Example: rescue remedy calms nervous system. Clematis: helps you reconnect with your body. White chestnut calms worrisome thoughts. Yarrow protects from absorbing psychic negativity. You can put a few drops in your water bottle and sip throughout the day.
- Epsom salts baths to absorb and calm emotions. Epsom salts help relax muscles. They also work well to soothe emotions.
- Sea salt baths to strengthen your electromagnetic energy field. Soaking in sea salt also helps you visualize more clearly. So, bathing in a sea salt bath is a great place to do any visualization meditations.